Sunday, September 22, 2013

Comparing the Rose

I heard tail-thumping in the other room.

"Happy, Rosco?"

"I got it!"

"Got what?"

"Got the Pentax to match up with the Lumix"


Lumix vs Pentax (K1000)

"Although I must say, if I should, that I could have added some more of that bruisy color to the film version."

"Bruisy?" 

"You know the reddishy-yellowy-purplish stuff... magen ..  mah

"Magenta?"

"Yes, that one."

"Well, but why would you want to do that?"

"Do what"

"Match them up."

"Well there's no point in comparing things that are different, is there?"

I was left to ponder this bone of canine wisdom.

"Obviously, they're different!  Look, here's the more or less original film shot"


"It was darker and bluer.  Using levels to cut away the dark and light dead tones made the picture relatively brighter... 

 
"But it was still too dark.   Well not, really.  I liked it all gloomy and stuff.  But by trying to get it like the digi version I got to see what was making the difference."

"I'm beginning to your drift"  I said.

"Drift?"

"Like the vanishing boat...  I see where you're going."

"Oh."



"Well anyways," Rosco continued, "after fiddling with lights, darks, and contrasts (which is a kind of darkening)  I got match pretty close, except the film needed some hue or color adjustments.   I tried "color balance" and "film filters"  but the hue/saturation tool seemed to work best.   As I said, I could have matched it even closer with the magen... magen---

---I don't know why that word gives me trouble, Rosco snorted.

"Well don't let it bother you," I said, "call it the bruisy stuff."

"Anyways..." Rosco continued, "if they were totally the same, there'd be nothing to compare." 

Rosco!

No comments:

Post a Comment